Home / Food / Dangers of Eating Poke High Mercury in Ahi Tuna
Dangers of Eating Poke High Mercury in Ahi Tuna (2)

Dangers of Eating Poke High Mercury in Ahi Tuna

The Dangers of Eating Poke can be dangerous for your health

The Dangers of Eating Poke

Poke is a traditional dish from Hawaii which is made from diced raw fish, most commonly yellowfin or “ahi” tuna, or (octopus). Its other traditional ingredients are soy sauce, seaweed, chili peppers, sea salt, sesame oil and inamona (a condiment made from roasted candlenut and salt), served over sushi rice. There has been an assortment of adaptations which have followed in the footsteps of their traditional ancestor’s rise in popularity over the past six years. These modern versions of the dish can include the use of teriyaki sauce, mushrooms, crispy onions, and pineapple. In Hawaii, the dish can be found at any number of places, and it is becoming more and more popular in the mainland United States.

One of the main reasons for the rise in Poke’s popularity is the fact it appeals to those who are following a paleo diet or those who are more health conscious. This is due to the high levels of omega three fatty acids, B vitamins and protein found in ahi tuna. As its popularity has risen, however, health professionals have warned about the potential dangers of consuming too much poke.

Dangers of Eating Poke High Mercury in Ahi Tuna (3)

Ahi tuna, which is also one of the most common ingredients in sushi, is already listed as a high-mercury fish which should be eaten sparingly or not at all. On top of that, it has been calculated that the amount of mercury found in these fish has been rising at about four percent per year. With the rate of popularity for tuna poke bowls ever increasing, this means many people are consuming way more of this fish than recommended and putting far more than they anticipate into their bodies.

How Does Mercury Get into Tuna and Other Seafood?

The primary cause for the levels of mercury in the fish we consume is the number of industrial pollutants which enter our oceans every day, from coal plants, mines, and from natural sources such as volcanoes. Mercury is converted to methylmercury when it reaches our oceans and wetlands. Methylmercury is quickly and efficiently absorbed by fish’s bodies. The mercury bioaccumulates in the organisms of fish in the same way it does in humans, and it is passed through the food chain, starting with small fish and plankton.

The longer a species of fish lives, along with how high it is on the food chain, the more mercury it will contain.

What Does Mercury Do to the Body?

Mercury is a heavy metal, much like iron and zinc. However, unlike iron and zinc, it has no positive function in the human body. On the other hand, it can have numerous adverse effects on the brain and kidneys. Mercury is either excreted by the body in feces or enters the bloodstream, where it heads to the kidneys and brain. The kidneys can store mercury in a non-toxic form by binding it with a protein contained in them called metallothionein. The body can cope with moderate levels of mercury, as long as the dosage does not overwhelm the system. If the body stores too much mercury in a short space of time, this can lead to mercury toxicity.

Dangers of Eating Poke High Mercury in Ahi Tuna (1)

There is a limit to the amount of mercury the body will store in a year, however, after which it will be excreted.

Alternatively, the mercury can also travel to the brain. If mercury does travel to the brain, it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Once it does this, it can cause neurological problems. It can do so as methylmercury binds to cysteine and looks to the brain as a common amino acid. This process can luckily be inhibited by neutral large amino acids, provided – as before – that the system is not overwhelmed by the amount of methylmercury in the body. Symptoms of high-level methylmercury exposure include “signs of madness,” lack of coordination, and muscle weakness, along with altered vision, speech, and hearing.

It is especially damaging to the brain and nervous system if exposure to mercury happens in the womb. It is therefore recommended that women who are pregnant limit the amount of seafood they eat, specifically tuna, swordfish, and oysters. Intake of tuna should also be strictly regulated for young children, women of childbearing age who plan to have children shortly, and those who have been deemed at risk of mercury poisoning.

Check Also

10 Top Valentines Day Suggestions For 2019 5

10 Top Valentines Day Suggestions For 2019

The 2019 Valentines Day is here; and as always, expectations among lovers have never been …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *